Friday 6 September 2013

damn fine

When two separate evens occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object in enquiry we must always pay strict attention.
- Dale Cooper 

God, I loved Twin Peaks - in the UK it was broadcast on Tuesday nights and I always remember that every Wednesday we'd all pile on to the college bus saying "did you see it? what did THAT mean? what did THIS line mean??" Excellent music, too.

Happy days - anyway, there is a reason why the above quote popped into my head.

Where we live, we have two neighbours - they're both (fairly young) grandparents and they live alone. A couple of weeks back, in the intense heat, they got together to sunbathe and to indulge in some pretty  high-octane flirting.

Now I'll stop you right there! I have no problem with older people flirting and getting jiggy - it was just that they were so awkward and plus they got HEROICALLY drunk while they were doing it. They could've been the youngest, buffest, most beautiful people in the world but still, there's nothing worse than hearing drunk people of any age trying to cop off with each other.

Anyway, we don't judge. And even though we have a child, we're not like Grandma Moses or anything - we don't mind a bit of noise, it's only natural. But the walls are thin and there have been a couple of occasions when it has gotten ridiculous.

CASE IN POINT: earlier this week - on WEDNESDAY (the international party night), they were playing music ridiculously loud to the early hours. They stopped when we banged on the walls (and no-one likes doing that, do they?) but I'm struggling to stay focused at work as it is (as you can tell by the fact that I'm typing this at 4pm on a Friday...).


But the lack of sleep turned me into a basket case the following day and my legs get incredibly immovable when I've had a stressful night.


Aside from anything else they both know about my health and have seen our daughter - so they know what we're dealing with. With all that, their selfishness was the most upsetting thing about it.

So imagine my surprise when I saw this article in my Twitter feed, about how sleep plays a key role in the production and repair of Myelin.
"Disturbed sleep may aggravate perhaps the symptoms of [Multiple Sclerosis], in a vicious cycle"
Now it's not rocket science that rest and recuperation can play a part in maintaining our health and it's a particular type of sleep that seems to be the most beneficial but still, it's interesting so I thought I would share with you.

5 comments:

  1. RE-VOLTING! Sorry about the rockin' old people next door. Interesting about the sleep business. No matter when I go to bed or when I wake up, I feel tired the next day. Perhaps my sleep's being interrupted?

    p.s. had NO idea Wed. is the international party night. Must make plans to party next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, all the cool kids know about Wednesday night - did you not get the memo??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. I believe you answered your own question; clearly I am NOT cool. *also sobs into keyboard*

    ReplyDelete
  4. just received this in an email from my wife:

    "At last something good has come of love's old dream, he is currently weeding her garden (that's not a euphemism!)"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but it is now! Have incorporated it straight into my "Mental Encyclopedia of Juvenile Stuff to Say on Any Occasion." You can be sure I'll tell someone "he's weeding her garden" with a knowing wink and nudge (and equally sure the person I say it TO will be mildly confused, annoyed, and dismayed by my immaturity).

    ReplyDelete